I’ve been sick for two weeks. And as a friend recently observed, “Boy, when you get sick you really get sick, don’t you?” Yes, I do. I’m an all or nothing kind of girl. Black or white. On or off. Awake or asleep. Full throttle or idle. So when it comes to illness I like to do it up right.
The part I like best about being sick is getting better. After all the yuck, that moment when my head feels clear again and I’m thinking lucid thoughts is beautiful because in that moment I realize what a gift our health is to each of us.
I am (usually) one of the healthiest people I know. There are a handful of people who love me who would tell you that I run too fast, too frequently and burn the candle at both ends and that’s why I end up so depleted when I do get sick, but we’re not here to talk about that. The good news is that I am back to my energetic self.
Today in honor of my return to normal I want to stand on my soapbox and remind you that you control 100% of what goes into your body. Good health doesn’t just happen by accident. It’s a gift we give ourselves through the choices we make each day.
- Choose to drink water. Here are 9 good reasons why.
- Choose to exercise regularly. I love keeping track of my activity with fitbit.
- Choose to eat more organics. Because chemicals are bad for you and 9 more reasons here. And if you can’t go all organic, start with these 17 items at least.
- Choose to get enough sleep. You really do need 7-9 hours nightly; trust me on this one.
- Choose to read for pleasure. Need some reasons? Here are five.
- Choose to laugh. As if you need an excuse, here are eight to get you started.
What else should we add to our list of daily choices?